Strawberry Cake From Scratch
Today I made the most delicious strawberry cake from scratch. I used to be so scared of making a cake from scratch! I had always heard that it was hard to do - hard to make it moist and just a lot of work. A couple years ago, though, I decided to try to make one, and I was pleasantly surprised at how simple it is!
The recipe I used for this strawberry cake is from Allrecipes.com, but I did make a couple slight changes. It has a video, too, so for cake beginners (like me!) it helps a lot of watch someone make it instead of just go off a recipe.
2 cups white sugar
1 6-ounce package of strawberry Jello-O (original recipe calls for a 3-ounce package, but I wanted a lot of strawberry flavor, so I used almost an entire 6-ounce package).
1 cup of butter, softened
4 eggs (room temp)
2 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk (room temp)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 pints of fresh strawberries (you may use frozen strawberries, but I used fresh strawberries. I just sprinkled them with sugar and let them sit for about 45 minutes before pureeing.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub butter on the bottom of two 9 inch round cake pans, and sprinkle flour over the butter, dumping out the excess.
- Puree strawberries in a food processor or a blender.
- Mix together the softened butter, sugar and strawberry Jell-O. Add eggs one at a time, and mix well after each one. Alternately, add the flour and baking powder mixture and the milk. Lastly, mix in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or when a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Add your favorite icing (I used this recipe) and voila! You have a delicious strawberry cake made from scratch!
I hope you try this recipe and I really hope you enjoy it! If you try it, or know of another delicious recipe you think I'd like to try, let me know in the comments!